Skip to main content

A Bookworm in London. The First Day

2015 has been the year in which I've come back to London after 8 years. 8 YEARS! The last time I was there I was 15 (about to turn 16). Mental, I know. My sisters and I have been planning to go back for a long time and we finally decided 2015 was the year. Unfortunately one of my sisters couldn't come due to work but it's okay; we will be back to visit the Harry Potter Studios - we want to go the three of us together like the big HP nerds we are ^^. One of my little sister's friends came along as well. In this first post, I'm gonna tell you all what we did the first day which may seem like not a lot but believe me, we were exhausted at the end of the day.

The 16th we woke up at 4 am (never again, I swear) to go to the airport. Our flight was due at 7 am. You guys need to know I'm a bit scared of flying and I always get quite panicky during both the takeoff and the landing. My mind decides to go crazy picturing catastrophic scenarios... you know, the usual stuff. Anyways, we arrived safe and sound at Gatwick airport and then we got a bus that took us to Earl's Court. From there we were "alone" and let me tell you... finding the underground to get us to Russell Square and then the hostel was not an easy task. Fortunately British people are lovely and thanks to them we found the hostel. It was 12 pm by then and our check-in was due to 2 pm. A bit of waiting, we did. After getting our bedroom it was finally time to explore the city.



The rest of the day can be described as three Spaniards girls walking and walking until their feet were killing them basically, which was in part our fault. We didn't want to get an OysterCard simply because we were staying near Russell Square and every place we wanted to visit was close to each other. However, we didn't really think about the fact that we didn't really know the city and you can say we got a little bit lost (oops!). Thankfully London saved us, or rather a lovely pedestrian showed us that throughout the city there are maps telling you where you are and how you can get everywhere. We could finally breathe lol. At the end, we did see a big chunk of the city... success!!

The Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, the London Eye, Westminster Abbey and Trafalgar Square, which is near a lovely Waterstones and of course I had to go inside (don't worry, I didn't buy anything... that day). It was quite emotional getting to see those places again and doing it all by ourselves, with no chaperones around. In many ways, it was like visiting for the first time. I was once again in awe of London; I had forgotten how gorgeous and impressive it is. It's true though that the city is quite noisy and crowded, which is not ideal when big crowds give you anxiety but I forgot about that completely because I was, simply, happy to be there.

After spending four hours doing touristy stuff, it was time to relax and enjoy a very well deserved dinner. We had fish and chips... when in Rome; do as the Romans do right? Not much happened afterwards. We got to the hostel again, we took a shower and we went to bed at 10 pm. We know how to party hard, don't you think?










Our first day in London was over! *sad face* However, stay tuned for day 2, in which we went to King's Cross and I was almost tempted to buy the entirety of the Harry Potter Shop :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).