Skip to main content

Book Review | Otared by Mohammad Rabie

Otared by Mohammad Rabie; translated by Robin Moger {Goodreads}
Published by Hoopoe Fiction in 2016
Paperback edition; 352 pages {BookDepository}

Otared is a difficult book to review. It is a good book but not the right one for me. It was different from everything I’ve read before but ultimately, too brutal, at times way too slow and if I’m honest I don’t think I completely understood the idea Mohammad Rabie was trying to convey.

I requested it for review from the publishers (@hoopoefiction) because I liked the idea of a dystopian novel set in Egypt, in a not so distant future: 2025. We follow different storylines along different time-lines that later come together. The readers are introduced to a decadent Cairo, a city now occupied by The Knights of Malta, where its people have given in to violence, sex and drugs. As the characters often say, they are living in hell. The most prominent character is Ahmed Otared; a former police officer turned into a sniper to fight the occupier and help free his city. Although he’s aware of how depraved humans have become, he’s also part of the problem. His job in the resistance, which consisted in killing officials and hurting the invader, becomes corrupted: he starts killing indifferently men, women, and children — everything that crosses his eye.

Otared is a pessimistic novel. There is this constant idea that hope is lost and that mix with the brutality of the narrative creates an image of never-ending despair, misery and desolation. It is hard to read at times. The focus on the violence and the sex (most of the times combined) is not easy to stomach and quite a few times I found myself gagging or turning the page altogether. As I said, I assume the brutality of it all was to enhance the idea of a living hell but some scenes were too much even for me – I normally have no problems when it comes to violence and sex in books. However, if you are intrigued about the story and can bear without any problem the issues that were problematic for me, I’ll say give this one a go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.