And… another month that ends! I don’t even know how but June is over. Yep! And I have to say that it has been quite a good reading month for me despite having my finals. I ended up reading 9 books and 1 novella.
Here is the list!
- The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
- Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
- City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare (eBook)
- Branded by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki
- Don’t Look Back by Jennifer. L. Armentrout
- Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott
- Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira
- Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins
- Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
- Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi (novella)
I will say that starting June by reading The Lost Hero and then Son of Neptune was actually one hell of an amazing choice. I was so happy to be back in the Percy Jackson world and get to know not only the new characters but also about Roman mythology. I gave The Lost Hero 4 stars and 5 stars to Son of Neptune.
Then, as you may know Cassandra Clare released the last and final installment of The Mortal Instruments Series and after being done with my finals I picked it up straightaway. And words cannot describe how much I love this book and how Clare concluded the series. I had all the emotions, all at once. I couldn’t have asked for a better ending. Can you guess my rating? Yes! 5 freaking stars.
My next choice was Branded and I had high expectations with this book because everybody seemed to be loving it but unfortunately it was a letdown for me. I liked the premise of it but I couldn’t stand the main characters and the whole story was cheesy (the eye rolling-cringing type). I gave this 2 stars and I also did a review, which you can check it out here: http://adayinbookland.blogspot.com.es/2014/06/branded-by-abi-ketner-missy-kalicicki.html
Later I participated in the RYBSAT and I managed to read 4 books in an entire week:
- First, I read Don’t Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout and I loved it from the beginning to the end. Was my first book by her and now I understand why everybody loves her books. 5 stars.
- Then, I picked up Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott which I really enjoyed and also gave 5 stars. But if you wanna know more about what I thought you can read my review here: http://adayinbookland.blogspot.com.es/2014/06/fire-flood-by-victoria-scott.html
- My third choice was Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira and as much as I wanted to read this book I had some problems with it mainly because I felt like I was reading a copycat of the Perks of Being a Wallflower. I gave this 2 stars and I know that this book deserves more because the writing is beautiful and the story worth telling but the similarities my brain found with Perks ruin it for me.
- Finally, the forth book was Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins, which I enjoyed. It was a fun, light read and I gave it 3 stars.
After the RYBSAT I needed to take a break and I actually started a few books but only finished Shatter Me and Destroy Me, the novella, by Tahereh Mafi. It took me a bit to get used to the writing style of Shatter Me because is all very poetic and weird but at the same time really beautiful. Once that was covered I just really enjoyed the story even though nothing much happened. This book is not about world building and explaining why things are the way they are, is about the characters. And Destroy Me is the first novella of this trilogy which focuses on one of the characters and I thought it was really clarifying and lovely. I gave Shatter Me 3 stars and Destroy Me 4.
And if by now you are still reading this I hope you have had a lovely month as well and let’s see what July has in store! Happy reading!
Go find me on Goodreads!