Skip to main content

My Man Booker Reading List


The Man Booker Prize is a literary award given to the best original novel, written in English, and published in the UK. However, not only the winner of the Prize gets international renown but also the authors who get to be both long-listed o short-listed sometimes.

One of the reasons behind paying a lot more of attention to this award, at least in my case, is the fact that a lot of those books are way out of my comfort zone and although they may be hard for me to read, I still think it’s a brilliant idea to just lose yourself a bit and expand your reading tastes.

This year there are a few titles I wanna give a try and even though I know I probably won’t read them all before the winner is announced I believe these four books are the ones I’m interested in the most. They are very different from one another but all of them really caught my attention. I’m not planning on reading anymore of the list but that can change depending on the shortlist or if I’m crazy enough to tackle the entire longlist (I wish!). Of course, I will check out the winner even if it’s not among the ones I’m showing you today.



The Moor’s Account by Laila Lalami. Historical fiction about the Spanish conquistador Pánfilo de Narváez and his expedition to claim for the Spanish crown what is known today as the Gulf Coast of the USA. However, Lalami decides to use the voice of the first black explorer: Estebanico, a Moroccan slave, to narrate us this famed expedition. And this is precisely why I decided to pick it up.

Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg. The plot looks like something that will make me suffer: a day before her daughter gets married, Jude’s life crushes down when her house goes up in flames and everybody dies (her daughter, her soon to be son-in-law, her ex-husband and her boyfriend) but her.



The Chimes by Anna Smaill. A debut novel and possibly the most intriguing of the lot because Anna Smaill said she wrote this as a YA novel but her editor or publishers (I’m not sure) decided it was best to market this as an adult book, something everybody could read. It’s a dystopian novel and we all know how lovely my relationship with dystopia is (NOOOOO!) but... it is focused on music. Set in a reimagined London where people cannot form new memories, everything is controlled by music and the written word has been destroyed. Sounds good, right? I’ve also heard the writing style is insanely beautiful.

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. A bit of a paradoxical title taking its 720 pages but it sounds like an outstanding novel and one which will make me bawl my eyes out for sure. A Little Life follows four friends throughout their lives and apparently their stories are just heart-breaking and there are also trigger warning for almost everything you can think of and I’m scared to read it because I know it’s gonna be a hard read but everybody out there who has read this, has loved it so I just need to experience this and destroy my heart in the process.


Did you guys know about the Man Booker? Do you also check out both the longlist and the shortlist and see if something catches your attention? Or maybe just try and read the winner? Do you find the books I mentioned interested? Would you read any?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).