Skip to main content

Weekend Reads | 7.04.2017


I'm bringing the weekend reads posts back. They are an easy way to update my reading weekly and write down my thoughts on the books and at the same time I can keep my blog active because we know by now I'm prone to blogging slumps. I've been quite good with my reading lately, meaning that I'm trying to read every single day even if it's just for like 30 minutes. I finally organise all the work that I need to do for Uni prior finals and it's helping me to manage my time easily and for now, reading fits perfectly well into my schedule (yay!).

Anyways, I'm currently reading two books, which is quite rare for me but surprisingly it's working just fine for now. The one I know I'll finish this weekend for sure is Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood. This is my first Atwood believe it or not and so far, I'm enjoying it. It is part of the Hogarth Shakespeare series and a re-telling of The Tempest which is possibly my favourite Shakespeare play of the ones I've read so far. The only main "problem" is that being acquainted with the play makes the novel a tad predictable. It does have an impact on my reading experience but as I said, I'm enjoying the novel and I will most likely put up a review once I finish it.

The other book I'm dipping in and out to whenever I feel like it is Fish Have No Feet by Jon Kalman Stefansson (translated from the Icelandic by Philip Roughton). I bought this last September and after seeing that it was longlisted for the International Man Booker this year, I decided to pick it up. I'm one-third of the way through and I can say the translation is really really good and so beautiful but in terms of the story I'm not convinced. It is really melancholic and philosophical and it feels as if you're reading a big long contemplation of life which is great for quotes but very draining.

What are you guys reading this weekend?

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.