Skip to main content

My Reading Routine

 


I used to be a 'one book at a time' kind of gal but since last year I have realised that I prefer to be more than one because although sometimes it feels as if you are not making progress because you may not finish a book a week, then a few days later you finish three at once. In truth, since reading more than one book at a time I am getting a lot more reading done but at the same time I truly take my time with each and every title and on the long run, I prefer it.

Since going on holidays I kinda created a reading routine that works for me and I thought I could share it with you all. First, let's start talking about nighttime. I love reading at night. I normally read for 30 min to an hour and after that I close the book and go to sleep. Reading at night relaxes me but doesn't put me to sleep so it's a win-win situation because I get some reading done and then I sleep better. And for the most part I pick up shorter books or novellas; recently though I have decided to use part of my night reading time to rereads. I love rereading and I don't do it nearly enough, so if I manage to squeeze a whole hour of reading, I put aside 20 minutes for the reread if possible but if not, then it's okay because it is a reread and I shouldn't feel any pressure to get to it - not that you should feel any pressure at all when it comes to reading for leisure.

Now, daytime! Sometimes, not always, I read for a bit in bed in the mornings because it helps me to awake. 10-20 minutes. No more. And then I get on with my day. I am studying to become a librarian and since it's an open exam and we don't know when the government might be looking for new librarians (here in Spain you have to become a civil servant to be a librarian and that involves a exam) I need to be prepared for when that happens. So during the day, I tend to just go through the syllabus and study. During lockdown though I started using my father's static bicycle for an hour and I use that time read on my ipad because the handlebar has good support for it. I exercise and I get some reading done. Normally I pick up YA or fantasy for this. Never literary fiction. And then on the afternoons I set another hour aside to focus on "my main read", normally the chunkiest one or the most difficult. I use the Forest app and I either set a timer for 60 minutes or divided into two so if I have to use my phone I can in between. 

Sometimes I do better than others but for the most part I read for 3 hours each day, but since the time I put for reading is scattered throughout the day it doesn't feel like that much and to be honest I prefer this method to what I used to do before which was reading for 2 hours or so during my afternoons. Obviously this routine might change. We don't know how long this corona situation is gonna last but so far, I am living my life as if we are still in lockdown and not leaving the house as much only to buy the essentials and see my friends once a week if possible. I would love to go for walks in the evening but it's so bloody hot that I can't be arsed at the moment. So for as long as I can keep up with this reading routine I will. To give you some context last year I finished 83 books - normally I read around 75-85 books each year - and this year I am at 70 and it's only august and my mind is blown.

I didn't think I would write such a long post but here we are. So, tell me, do you have a reading routine or you just read whenever you can?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).