Skip to main content

September 2015

Someone please tell me where September has gone to because I seriously have no idea. I know this is such a cliché to say but this time, it’s true. My month can be summarized as a lot of car drives to our village (by that I mean where my grandparents used to live when they were young) to spend time with my grandma and aunt. It’s nice to get away from time to time but also tiring. Uni hasn’t started yet and I’m getting a bit bored if I’m honest. October 6th can’t come soon enough (I’m pretty sure once it is here I will start complaining about it though…)


Reading wise, I’ve read a mix of genres: Fantasy, classics, literary fiction and YA. I even managed to squeeze a non-fiction book about fairytales into my reading month as well. And I have to say, not counting Percy Jackson, I’ve been reviewing every single book I’ve read which I’m very happy about. Two of those reviews will be up later this week though.

  • The Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb. 3 stars. FULL REVIEW
  • The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan. 4.5 stars. Re-reading this series has been this year’s greatest idea and I’m so pleased about it. I remember most stuff but there were a few details here and there I’ve forgotten and reminding them now was perfect.
  • Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson. 4 stars. FULL REVIEW
  • The Chimes by Anna Smaill. 3 stars. I have a full review ready for next week but I will say I liked it but I felt something was missing from the story. The writing style though was extraordinary.
  • Westwood by Stella Gibbons. 2 stars. We have to have a black sheep this month and sadly Westwood was the chosen one. I’m mad I didn’t like it but although the writing style was great and vivid, the characters destroyed this book for me. Again, I have a full written review where I explain my thoughts better. Look forward to that :)
  • The Titan’s Curse by Rick Riordan. 4.5 stars. I wasn’t sure if I will be able to pick another Percy book this month but I did and I loved it. The third book introduces one of my favourite characters: Nico. I know many out there found him irritating but I’ve always liked him, since the minute he goes rambling about his mythological figurines and being overly excited about what he likes. But I also feel sorry for him and when Riordan gave him his own voice in the spin-off series I was over the moon. We also have Rachel Elizabeth Dare, who is sassy as hell; and the first glimpses of Percy’s romantic feelings towards a certain character. And can we talk about Dr. Chase? The final chapters are epic.
  • Once Upon a Time by Marina Warner. 3.5 stars. Warner is supposed to be a prominent figure in the fairytale department so I was very intrigued by it. It is a very lovely, easy, light and informative read. And I learnt a few things I didn’t know but I wanna write a review of it as well.

Nothing really special has happened this month. I got back into the TV shows wagon because finally ONCE UPON A TIME is back and I’m so excited because this season is all about King Arthur and his Knights and I just can’t handle my feels. Also #captainswan. Enough said. And I decided to give Scandal a go (I know they are already on season 5 but I just don’t care) as well as Ryan Murphy’s Scream Queens which is such a stupid show but it makes me laugh and it’s a nice way to spend your time when there is nothing else to do.

However, the most significant thing about September is that AUTUMN is finally here! I cannot wait until the leaves start turning yellow and brownish and falling down and open up my wardrobe to use my jumpers and scarves. The weather turning colder and the raging wind on my face while walking down streets, getting home to a nice cup of hot chocolate to wrap myself in a blanket and lose myself in whatever book I might be reading.


What about you? How did September treat you? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).