Skip to main content

Book Review // Once Upon A Time by Marina Warner

Once Upon A Time by Marina Warner {Goodreads}
Published by Oxford University Press in 2014
Hardback edition; 201 pages {BookDepository}

Non-fiction is way out of my comfort zone, not because I don’t like it but because I feel is like reading a text-book and for that, I have Uni already. Yet, I was very much intrigued by this. I’m getting into fairytales lately and I’ve heard of Marina Warner before since she’s supposed to be prominent figure in this department. I have no idea how to review a non-fiction book and therefore, I’m just gonna tell you below the issues it addresses and how I liked it.

The book explores the many different versions of some very well-known fairytales. For example, Perrault’s Cinderella isn’t the same as Brothers Grimm’s. While Perrault’s features the fairy godmother and it’s the main inspiration for the Disney version, in the Brothers Grimm’s version Cinderella asks a tree for help, a tree that is her mother’s personification. The Brothers also tended to be crueler. This was my favourite part of the entire book: the comparisons between several authors, not only Perrault and Brothers Grimm, and getting to know what they changed and why.

There is also room to talk about modern writers and how they have re-interpreted the fairytales. One writer kept popping up every time: Angela Carter and her Bloody Chamber – a book I plan on reading as soon as the postman brings it to me.
Fairytales have not only being a huge part of different social movements like feminism but have also influenced Freud and his psychoanalysis for instance. The movie industry and its diverse interpretations are also discussed within the pages of Once Upon a Time and there are now a few movies I want to check out. 

Warner drives us in a very light and gently style through the different fairytales, their different writers and what inspired them and what have fairytales mean throughout the centuries since they’ve been around. They have influenced our morality, sexuality and as a result, society. It’s nearly impossible to detach culture from them. Fairytales are an irrevocably part of us. If you are interested in this topic and are looking for something easy to follow and interesting, Once Upon a Time might be the book for you.

My Rating:


Do you like fairytales? Do you know the original versions? Which one is your favourite?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.