Skip to main content

My Required University Reads


Uni has started and with that, loads of required reading is starting to pile up on my bedside table. I’m excited though since all of them are new to me. I know them, I know what they are about but I haven’t read them sans Jane Eyre and The Great Gatsby which will be re-reads.
Fun story here: I tried reading Pride & Prejudice when I was 14, in Spanish but had to give up – twice – around page 50 because I wasn’t feeling it. The translation was not very good, very rough and so I put it down. 10 years later I will pick it up again, this time in English to experience for myself what made millions of readers fall in love with the story or so I hope (keep your fingers crossed).

I will read Dickens for the first time and I will get to sink my teeth into Frankenstein, which I’ve heard is amazing. The Norton Anthologies for both English and American Literatures are also part of my required reading, and I know how complete those anthologies are but I swear I don’t need the gym to strengthen my arms anymore because those books are humongous and weighs a ton.

Both Goblin Market and The Yellow Wall-Paper, as well as The Awakening are for my Gender & Literature Class which looks incredibly interesting and I cannot wait to get down to the nitty gritty as it looks amazing. I also have a few textbooks with a lot of poems and short stories that I need to read as well, like “The Lady of Shalott” by Tennyson which is absolutely beautiful and I cannot wait to analyze it in class focusing on gender issues.

 Right now I’m currently reading Moll Flanders and although I can appreciate the story for what it is and what it meant, I’m having one hell of a time with it and not in a positive way. It’s such a hard read, probably the hardest since I started English Studies. There are no chapters whatsoever; the whole story goes on and on and on and there is not a single break and I’m sorry but 320 pages without a single pause will be too much, I reckon. There are no proper dialogues, everything is in indirect style and assimilated into the narration and it can be hard to figure out who is talking and when. I hope I can get used to it... I better or I have a problem. There's nothing worse than reading something that is requiered and you have to read and not enjoy it.

Anyways, I’m being positive about it because I’m so excited about this year since it’s more Literature-focused. Linguistics is not my thing unfortunately. I love reading how authors play with language, not how language works if that makes any sense.

Have you read any of these? Or would you like to do so? How is University/school going for you?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).