Skip to main content

The Eurovision Book Tag


I know it's almost a week ago that Eurovision took place but Veronika @ The Regal Critiques tagged me to do this and I wanted to do it haha. She, and Clare & Ann from Dual Reads came up with this tag idea. Without further ado, let's get on with the questions :)

1- ABBA – Waterloo. A debut novel that blew you away
I have to go with the same title Veronika picked and that has to be The Hate U Give. I wasn’t expecting to love this book as much as I did. It made me cry in a sad and happy way and I can’t recommend it enough.

2- BUCKS FIZZ – Making Your Mind Up. A plot twist you never saw coming!
I’m going for the last installment in the Mistborn series The Hero of Ages. Twists kept coming from everywhere and I just didn’t see any of them. What an incredible fantasy series!

3- DUSTIN THE TURKEY – Douze Point (watch this on Youtube; seriously). Er… what just happened? A book that left you feeling confused
One Hundred Shadows by Hwang Jungeun. This one was really weird and not my thing at all.

4- ALEXANDER RYBAK – Fairytale (possibly one of my favourite songs from the contest. I still listen to it today and it improves my mood instantly. It's a beautiful song). A fairytale retelling you can’t help but love.
Two books come to mind and both are from the same series: Cress and Winter.

5- JOHNNY LOGAN (he has won Eurovision twice representing Ireland and then a third time as the composer of the winning song). A Book/Series you thought was finished but it just kept coming back.
The Mortal Instruments. Jeez, as much as I enjoyed the original series and the first spin off I do believe Cassandra Clare is milking it by now. I haven’t picked up any of the other series and I don’t plan to. I also feel she recycles her stories.

6- TIMEBELLE – Apollo. A book that deserves more love.
Fairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse Near. This book took me by surprise and was one of my favourite reads last year. Not a lot of people talk about it but it deserves all the love.

7- LENA MEYER – Satellite (Germany won with this song and it is super sweet but fun). A really sweet contemporary romance.
This genre is not my cup of tea. I tend to stay away from contemporary romances as much as I can but I enjoyed reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.

8- LORDI – Hard Rock Hallelujhah (MY FAVOURITE SONG OF ALL TIME. NOT OTHER COUNTRY CAN TOP WHAT FINLAND DID). A really unique fantasy world.
I was tempted to mention again the Misborn trilogy because the magic system is so brilliant in my opinion but I’m gonna go with The Girl who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente. Super weird world, yes, but beautiful writing style.

9- LOREEN – Euphoria (I feel like this song is probably one of the most successful of the contest. Here in Spain is always on the radio and that doesn’t happen much). A powerful book that left you breathless.
I’m gonna cheat and pick a poetry collection AND a play. The poetry collection is What We Buried by Caitlyn Siehl – seriously read this. Her poetry made me feel so many things – and the play is Peter and Alice by John Logan – this was hearbreaking. I actually read it aloud and had to stop a lot of times because I kept choking on my own tears. Both are super powerful reads.

10- SERGEY LAZARETH – You Are the Only One (very catchy song). A cover that was just stunning!
I’m a sucker for gorgeous covers and I own quite a few but I’m in love with the Waterstones special edition of The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry. I loved it so much I actually ordered the book from the Waterstones website and paid shipping and everything. Don’t judge, at this point you should know I have a serious problem.

THREE BONUS QUESTIONS

PEACE PEACE LOVE LOVE (this song was performed by the Swedish hosts last year and it’s to date my favourite thing ever. So much fun. When it comes to Eurovision, Sweden knows best). A book that had EVERYTHING.
I had so much troubles picking up a book so I went with the Harry Potter series because it is EVERYTHING.

12 POINTS – A book that stands out as the best of the year!
I have already talked about my favourite reads of this year in previous questions so I’m gonna pick Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. This woman knows how to pack a punch in a few pages. Highly highly recommend it.

A BOOK WITH GREAT LGBTQ+ REPRESENTATION.
Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire. This dark fantasy novella is very diverse in its sexual representation.

So, that's the end of the tag! I don't know how many of you are fans of Eurovision but if you feel like doing this, go for it!

I found this year Eurovision quite disppointing, not because of the winner but the whole thing in general. It was really hard to top what the Swedish did last year and Petra and Mans as hosts but yeah, let's see what Portugal does next year! I was rooting for Italy because the song was super cool and so much fun. Who were you rooting for?

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).