Skip to main content

October Books | 2019


Here are all of the books I read in October.

- I continued with my reread of Harry Potter and got through the Prisoner of Azkaban to the Half-Blood Prince. I am enjoying this reread immensely but I am struggling with the movies, especially since the fifth one. I'm currently taking notes on the sixth one and dear goodness, I wanna punch someone. My posts about the comparison between the movies and books are on my instagram if you wanna have a look.

- El clamor de los bosques (The Overstory) by Richard Powers. I did a full review on this one if any of you are interested in it you can read it HERE (8.5/10).

- Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin. It was a fun read but it didn't have enough world building for a fantasy book. In fact, it didn't feel like a fantasy until the end because this read more like a romantic historial fiction so keep that in mind. It does have some magic but not enough in my opinion. Apparently the sequel will expand the world (6.5/10).

- Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo. Absolutely brilliant. I am planning on doing a full review on the blog to have one also here but you can check the one I did on instagram HERE (10/10). 

- Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi. Completely forgettable. No need to waste my time on a full review because I wouldn't have much to tal about other than it was predictable and annoying and I don't like when characters use trauma they've suffered to justify being mean (4/10).

- Lyra's Oxford by Philip Pullman. A nice short story but it wasn't particularly mind-blowing or anything. I read it in preparation for The Secret Commonwealth which I'm planning to read before the year ends (6/10).

- The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. I am planning on writing a full review later this week but I can say here that I loved the setting but the pacing was off for me. It is a very subtle story about the decadency of the higher classes in post-war England and the frustration of those who want to rise above their status (7/10).

- Other: Writers on the power of words to help us see beyond ourselves by different authors and edited by Charles Fernyhough. This collection had a bit of everything (poetry, essays, fiction...) but most of it was a hit or miss for me. I actually dnfed a couple of stories and didn't care much for the poetry. Looking at each individual ratings I see I enjoyed half of the contents and the other half, not so much but I didn't know how to rate it globally in a proper way. However, I'll say it touches upon very important issues and the ones I enjoyed, I enjoyed a lot and a couple of essays were incredibly eye-opening.

All in all I did manage to read quite a lot but it's all Harry Potter's fault because I do fly through those books. So, how was your October? Any new favourites?

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).