Skip to main content

Are We Ready For Books, Or Are Books Ready For Us?


I ask you today, are we ready for a book or it’s a book ready for us? It may seem like a stupid thing to ask but think about it. The same book, the same words, the same reader and yet, sometimes, a different outcome depending on the moment the book was read. The way I see it, both the readers and the book hold the power. There is a balance between them. A book has the power to bewitch us but for that to happen, it needs to fall into our laps at the right moment in time.

All this came to me while reading Pride and Prejudice. How come I couldn’t even read 50 pages when I was 14 and now, at 24, I finished it in three days and highly enjoyed it? I am the same person but my tastes – my… let’s just call it “reading world” – have expanded. My mind is now capable of enjoying different things, even genres I never thought I would venture into. It’s all about perspective.

And it makes me wonder… what about all those books I have not enjoyed during my reading life? Tell openly, how many times have you hated a book others loved? For instance, I picked up Throne of Glass because everybody and their mother were raving about it. I read it and honestly? I didn’t enjoy it that much. And every time this happens a question follows: “Why everybody adores this book and I can’t? Is there something wrong? “Now though, I believe the question to ask should be another: “Is it possible that the book wasn’t that bad, that maybe I picked it up at the wrong time?” Maybe my 16 year-old me would have raved and raved about Sarah. J. Maas’ series while my 23-year-old me was not so impressed. And it is okay.

However, this also might be a double-edged sword. What if we reread books we have previously loved and now they start to bug us? That can happen as well and it is terrifying. One of my friends had to stop rereading one of our favourite teen series because he was noticing too many flaws and he didn’t want his initial love for it to be tainted now that he is older. We can’t either change the past or predict the future and although scary, it can also be thrilling.

So, what say you? When we enjoy a book, it is because it was the right time to do so? And when we don’t or can’t finish it, it is because the moment was off?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.