Skip to main content

Wildwood by Colin Meloy. Illustrated by Carson Ellis

Wildwood by Colin Meloy. Illustrated by Carson Ellis {Goodreads}
Published by Balzer + Bray in 2011
Hardback edition; 560 pages

Wildwood, the first instalment in the Wildwood Chronicles, starts when Mac, Prue’s brother, is kidnapped by crows and taken to Wildwood. Prue is determined to go and rescue him even though her parents always tell her to stay away from the woods. Curtis, a class mate, follows her and both of them find themselves in this magical world, trying to save not only Prue’s baby brother but also the entirety of Wildwood from an evil Queen.

Sounds good, right? Well, I’ll be honest and say this wasn’t very original. The story, I mean. From the moment I read the first page until I turned the last page over there was only one thing in my head: Narnia. The world Colin Meloy has created screamed Narnia to me and throughout the whole book I couldn’t stop myself from doing comparisons and that is something I truly don’t like to do but I couldn’t help it. The Wildwood world was too similar to Narnia. That’s not to say the story is not well-written and fun, it actually is; it touches on the power of friendship and family and of course focuses on the ever-recurrent theme of Good vs Evil. Carson Ellis’s illustrations are probably my favourite thing about the novel, they are scatter all throughout the book and are very beautiful.

Reading children’s books is always interesting. You go into it with an “adult” mind-set and sometimes things don’t work. For me, Wildwood is an okay read, it’s something you pick up for fun, it’s not a complicated read. I mean, it’s middle-grade, it’s not supposed to be complicated. However, this book was not written for adults; it was written for children. That doesn’t necessarily mean adults can’t read it but it is something I need to take into account. A fantasy world full of talking animals, bandits, a corrupted government and an evil Queen – I can totally see why this story is something kids will love.

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.