Skip to main content

March 2015

Another month done and dusted and I just wanna cry because I can’t believe April is upon us already. Remember last month when I read so much even though I was also studying for finals? Well, I’ve come to the conclusion that I read more under pressure because I didn’t have much to do this month and my reading wasn’t as much as previous months. Still, I’m very, very happy with it: 5 books and a play. Also, I had a bit of a bookhangover thanks to one particular remarkable book called All the Light We Cannot See but let’s start from the beginning, shall we?


1. Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
2. Nightfall Gardens by Allen Houston
3. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
4. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
5. The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm
6. Zodiac by Romina Russell


My first book in March was Oedipus Rex by Sophocles. I had to read this for my Classical Literature Class and I enjoyed it. We all know Oedipus story and although I would have preferred to watch a play, I had a nice time reading it. The translation was quite tricky… spot on, yes, but complex. I gave it 3 stars. After that I picked up Nightfall Gardens by Allen Houston. I was sent it for review, so if you wanna know more about my thought you can go and check out my FULL REVIEW. I gave it 4 stars.

A very recent release that I was very inclined to read was The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins because it was marketed as ‘the new Gone Girl’ and when I saw it on the bookshop I had to get it and even though I did enjoy it, I figured the whole thing out. Bummer! I also wrote a FULL REVIEW if you wanna know more. I gave it 3.5 stars.

Then, I read what is most likely to be on my favourite reads this 2015 and that is All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. There are no words to describe this book. No worlds. I tried to in a review, which you can read HERE, but it wouldn’t do justice to what this book made me feel. It gave me all the feels and it broke my heart but it was so good and you guys need to read it because the prose is beautiful and the story is marvelous and just read it, okay? Please? You can bet my rating on this one, don’t you? 5 freaking wonderful stars. And included in the package was also a beautiful bookhangover. I mean, it can’t get better than that!

After five days without picking a book, I went for something easy and fast-paced because I was still chewing over my thoughts about All the Light We Cannot See and I went for The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm because it was part of my Spring TBR and I was dying to see how the original tales were. It didn’t disappoint at all and I also wrote a post about it, which you can read HERE. I gave it 4 stars.

The last book of the month, Zodiac by Romina Russell, was a complete letdown. I’m planning on writing a full review to tell you all why I didn’t like it but for now the main reason was that I couldn’t connect with the characters and the story and well, that killed it for me. I rated it with 2 stars but that doesn’t imply it is a bad book. All the ratings are based on opinions and maybe I didn’t enjoy this one, but that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t so if you wanna read it, then give it a go.

Now that I think about it, this month I’ve been quite good with reviews. I’ve reviewed almost all the books I’ve read and I still have another one in the making so I’m really happy. I would probably upload it next Thursday if I can, since I’m going away for Easter. Hope March has been good to you and see you again on my next post! 

For more bookish updates you can add me on Goodreads!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).