Skip to main content

Book Review // Westwood by Stella Gibbons

Westwood by Stella Gibbons {Goodreads}
Published by Vintage Classics in 2011
Paperback edition; 464 pages {BookDepository}

Meet Margaret Steggles, a plain bookish English girl who isn’t already married and whose mother doesn’t think will ever be. You see, she is not the type of girl who attracts men. Hilda, her best friend, on the other hand is quite popular among the male population. One day Margaret founds a ration book and famous writer Gerard Challis enters both their lives.

Stella Gibbons was a one hit type of author even though she wrote quite a few novels. Her first one, Cold Comfort Farm, was an absolute success but her other works didn’t meet the same fate. This was a bit devastating for Gibbons whose novel Westwood was apparently the work she was more proud of.

Westwood is supposed to be a comic tale about love but unfortunately I failed to see it. As Hebe will state: What a bore! Words cannot express how utterly boring this story was for me. I don’t mind plot-less books, most classics focus on characters rather than plot but there is only so much someone can take and in my case, this was too much.

Every single character was a struggle to read since I didn’t like a single one. They got on my nerves. Margaret was incredibly contradictory thinking something at the beginning of a page and changing her mind completely a few lines later; it’s the same pattern throughout the entire story and gets so tiring at the end. Gerard Challis was a pompous old man who believes himself so intelligent and charming and fails to see just how unlikeable he really is talking of art and literature like a the snobbish prick. Noticed how much I disliked him? I will save you the time of reading about Challis’ and Margaret’s families because they weren’t any better. Maybe the only likeable character was Hilda but she’s not given much spot in my opinion.

What prevented me to stop reading and giving this book 1 star was the writing style. Gibbons knew how to write, she described wartime London with such power that you can picture it perfectly. But, as you can tell, it wasn’t enough. No matter how much Westwood is amazingly written, its characters made it impossible for me to like it. And most likely this is failure on my behalf for not quite grasping the satire underneath it but that was just me. I’ve read other reviews saying how lovely the book was but it didn’t work for me and it is my problem, not the book.

However negative this review was, I will read Gibbons’ most famous book Cold Comfort Farm and see how I like that one.

My Rating:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.