Skip to main content

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo


After seeing a bunch of negative reviews and a lot of people dnfing this I was scared. But it also helped me to lower my expectations and just go into it with an open mind. And what can I say? I truly enjoyed this. I won't deny that it took me awhile to get into the story, the beginning can be confusing due to two elements: one, the story isn't told in a lineal way and two, there is a lot of information thrown at you from the start. These two elements, on their own, aren't confusing per se but put together? they could be. You have to pay attention and stay focused while reading, otherwise a lot of it will go over your head. Most people I know who dnfed it, did it before the 100 pages mark and I can see why. Not everybody is gonna enjoy that. In my case, I was intrigued from the start and all the information that Bardugo lays out, despite feeling a bit info-dumpy sometimes, was related to magic and the secret societies in Yale and I was like, yes please give me more. I'm not even kidding, I was so engrossed reading about these things that if you know any book that deals with the same elements please let me know 'cause I'm craving them now.

I enjoyed the writing from the beginning but it is true that Bardugo shines when it comes to dialogue. She creates funny and quick-witted dialogues; but her descriptions sometimes threw me off. She might focus on tiny details of the surroundings that just makes some descriptions a tad too long. All in all though, I don't mind descriptive books so that also play in my favour. Keep it in mind.

The characters, however, took me awhile to warm up to and I believe the reason for that is because it takes some times to get to really know them. Alex, our main character, is a very obscure person. She is full of secrets and we don't know them, so you don't truly know what she's gonna do next or where her loyalties lie. You're always wondering who she is, especially at the beginning, and then, once you get to know her past and what she's been through, her actions are far more understandable. She's a kick-ass woman basically. Darlington, the darling boy of Yale, tends to be a favourite among readers and I did like him but I don't think Bardugo has shown us all of him and I'm hoping the sequels share a lot more light about who he is. The same goes for Dawes, a girl who helps Alex. These two form an incredible female friendship and despite them not knowing each other a lot, they still protect one another and it's one of the strongest things about this novel in my opinion. The other characters I liked as well is detective Turner. He's us. The outsider that knows nothing about magic and all of a sudden he's thrown into this world and is a bit thrown off by it.

In therms of the mystery... I figured out who did it but not why they did it. So when the reveal came I was like YES I KNEW IT but also NO I DIDN'T.

This book is a mix of everything, but primarily we have a mystery, fantasy elements and dark academia themes. Bardugo also explores power structures and privilege, related to the world of Academia. If you enjoy all of that - which I do - and don't mind a slow burner (the plot dones't really kick in till page 100 or so) which is typical of adult fantasy because the world and elements of it have to be lay out properly, then by all means read this book. Now, if you enjoy mysteries or dark academia but don't really care about fantasy, you'll probably struggle and I recommend you not to pick this up. However, if you like fantasy but don't care about mysteries I think both elements are well-balanced once the story sets off and you'll probably be alright.

At the end of it, Ninth House is not a book for everybody. And if you're picking this up because you have read Bardugo's previous work be warned that they are nothing alike. So don't go into this thinking is gonna be like The Grisha trilogy or even the Six of Crows duology.... because it is not. The vibe is completely different. The themes explored can be triggering. In terms of trigger warnings we have sexual assault and drug abuse but there is also a lot of violence and body mutilation. These are never easy things to read about and yes, they made me feel uncomfortable but I was never triggered.

Rating: 8/10.

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).