Skip to main content

Favourite Books of 2019


Of all 83 books I read this year, only 7 made it into my favourite pile. I have reviews for all of them - unfortunately not in the blog but on my instagram page - so if you want to know my thoughts you can either go there and scroll a bit or you can ask me on the comments about them.

  • Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo.
  • How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn.
  • Lanny by Max Porter.
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me by Mariko Tamaki.
  • The Prince and the Dreassmaker by Jen Wang.
  • It's Not About the Burqa edited by Mariam Khan.
  • The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui.
These are in no particular order with the exception of Girl, Woman, Other which takes the number one place without a doubt and if I have to push you to read any of these if my life depended on it, that would be it. It's an absolute delight of a novel and one I am planning on reading very soon in the new year.

It's quite interesting to see here so many graphic novels - believe me, I was surprised myself- but I will try and read more graphic novels this upcoming year; clearly I enjoy them a lot. And I was sad that no fantasy novel made it. I read a lot of the genre but despite enjoying most of it, there weren't as top as I was expecting them to be. They would probably fit in my memorable mentions.

I hope 2019 has been good to you and I hope all the best for 2020! Let me know in the comments your favourite reads of this year - I'm always on the lookout for new titles :)

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.