Skip to main content

My Reading Week | 25th - 31st October | Halloween Reads | Rivers Solomon, Samra Habib & Catriona Ward

 


OCT, 25th - Finished Sorrowland by Rivers Solomon. This is a strange yet poignant read in which Solomon interweaves a fantastical tale with both social commentary and critique. It was a bit slow at times but Solomon's writing was, as always, phenomenal. They are becoming an author I will always read no matter what they publish. 

OCT, 27th - This morning as I was drinking my coffee, I read the last two chapters of We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir by Samra Habib. Very accesible to read thanks to its simple and plain writing style, Habib's memoir deals primarily with her identity, her sense of belonging, her queerness and her relationship with Islam. She doesn't dive deep into certain issues and I respect her decision despite feeling some elements could've been explored more for a more rounded narrative.

OCT, 31st - Early morning today I read the last pages of The Last House on Needless Street. What a read! I didn't know where this story would go but it wasn't definitely where it ended up going; and I say that as a positive thing. I'll say the first third of the book was a bit challenging: the narrative was not dense but it is full of "holes", elements that are difficult to comprehend. So, instead of trying to comprehend everything I was reading I let the story guide me to avoid frustration. It has been a different and interesting read. Very good one actually. 

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.