Skip to main content

Looking for Alaska by John Green


"Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.


After. Nothing is ever the same."









John Green did it again! But this time he didn’t left me completely depressed, just a little bit really. This book follows Miles “Pudge” Halter and his adventures, if we can refer to them as such, when he decides to transfer to the boarding school his father attended. There he befriends his roommate, the Colonel, and thanks to that he meets Alaska and quickly falls in love with her.

I didn’t know anything about this book when I decided to pick it up, only that it was a John Green book and therefore I knew I will have to deal with some feels. Since the beginning I felt a The Catcher in the Rye sense to it but even though Looking for Alaska has some similarities with Salinger’s book it has a more “optimistic” vibe to it, at least for me.

With an overwhelming energy and a main plot that discusses a lot of “taboo” issues surrounding teenagers, this novel makes the reader wonder about life and human nature as a whole and how people deal with their problems when facing certain situations.


It will make you think (a lot) and even though the questions it could bring up could be tough to answer (not just because you may not have a straight answer for them but because maybe you are not ready to answer them yourself) it is still a delightful story, difficult to forget. I will say this though: I do want to go and search for my "Great Perhaps" even if it means I can't get out of the "Labyrinth of Suffering". 

My rating:



Follow me on Goodreads!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.