Skip to main content

Book Review // Reasons She Goes to the Woods by Deborah Kay Davies

Reasons She Goes to the Woods by Deborah Kay Davies {Goodreads}
Published by Oneworld Publications in 2015
Paperback edition; 256 pages {BookDepository}


Let me introduce you to Pearl, not your loveable, sweet type of girl. She’s vicious and mean. She has a very dark personality – I felt quite distressed at times – but she’s not the only one with issues, believe me.

Told in vignettes (the left pages have only one word and the right pages have the mini-story, the vignette) the reader gets snippets from Pearl’s childhood up to her adolescence. You get to discover her and her environment and in a sort of twisted way, you get to understand why she’s how she is.

It’s a story that got under my skin and it sure can pack a punch. I read it in one day. Once I started it I couldn’t stop. I needed to know what was going to happen; I needed to know where Pearl’s story was going to take me, emotionally speaking.

Reasons She Goes to the Woods is a very disturbing book; it’s not for everybody as it is perverse, violent and sexual but gloriously written and the reason I found it so impressive. It’s so highly evocative and Deborah Kay Davies can sure write. It is lyrical and beautifully unsettling. A risky story for sure but such a worthy read if you feel it’s a novel for you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.