Skip to main content

Asian Readathon Reads #1


The Beast Player by Nahoko Uehashi. My feelings towards this book are mixed. Whereas I thought it was worth my time, and I enjoyed it as a whole and will probably read the sequel containing the last two books, I also had some issues. First of all, this is translated from the Japanese and I have to say it's a good one; it never felt out of place and the language was fluid and felt natural to me. In terms of the story, I enjoyed the first half way more than the second half - where I found the main character became very passive towards what was happening around her and consequently, behaved in circles. And for a character that appeared to be very smart, her lack of action got to my nerves. Most of the time she remained silent when it was necessary for her to speak up and she endangered herself when it wasn't necessary. The highlight of the story for me was how much she cared for animals and how well she treated them. It's a great message the author conveyed. 

The Complete Chi's Sweet Home. Part I by Konami Kanata. This is a graphic novel that follows a kitten. It was absolutely adorable. Chi is walking around one day with her mom and siblings when she gets lost. And then a human family founds her and keeps her. However they are not allowed pets in their apartment so they have to keep Chi a secret. During the volume we follow Chi's adventures. In truth is a very simple story but the artwork is so cute and I just adored the whole thing. Cannot wait to read Part II.

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // The Madwoman Upstairs by Catherine Lowell

The Madwoman Upstairs  by Catherine Lowell { Goodreads } Published by Quercus Publishing in 2016 Paperback edition; 416 pages { BookDepository } The Madwoman Upstairs follows Samantha Whipple, the last descendant of the famous Brontë family. Her father is dead and the public believes she has inherited some important pieces of the Brontë’s literary estate, which is not true as long as she’s concerned since she has never seen said estate. When she starts attending Oxford College however, everything changes. She stars receiving books that belonged to her father and the whole situations turns into a scavenger hunt to unfold her family legacy.

Weekend Reads

This weekend I'm planning on finishing El día de año nuevo y otros cuentos maravillosos  - a short story collection by Vladímir Odóievski that so far it's simply okay nothing really special- and reading a chunk of Outlander . I'm halfway through the latter and so far, it's a very enjoyable read; I started watching the TV show last year when it premiered but stopped after some episodes because I wanted to read the book. I'm finally caught up with what I saw and from now on I don't know what's going to happen which makes me wanna read even more. What are your plans for the weekend?