Skip to main content

Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward

Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward {Goodreads}
Published by Bloomsbury in 2017
Hardback edition; 304 pages

Sing, Unburied, Sing is a road trip story. The novel starts when Jojo's father, a white man, is released from prison. His mother, Leonie, gets him, his little sister and a friend of hers, and hits the road to the penitentiary to pick him up.

I always find the books I love the most, the harder ones to talk about. And Sing, Unburied, Sing is no exception. The story is told mainly from two different perspectives: Jojo and his mother Leonie. From time to time we read from Richie's perspective, who is a ghost. I really loved this dynamic. Jojo and Leonie are very different people struggling with different issues. Jojo feels more connected with his grandparents and is very frustrated with his mother. He's a 13-year-old boy who's still trying to figure out who he is. At the same time, Leonie comes across as someone who is frustrated with herself and her choices. She can't overcome her drug-addiction which adds more tension to her relationship with her family. She doesn't feel like the motherly type at all, doesn't know how to treat her kids, how to provide for them or how to make them happy. She pays more attention to the father of her kids despite the fact that his family are not the type of family to accept a black person into their lives. It's very interesting to read about her thoughts.

I would say this whole novel is very emotional and by the end I was a proper wreck. It's not one of those stories where by the end you find yourself ugly-sobbing, it's more subtle than that. But it definitely packs a punch and I'm very eager to pick up more from Ward in the new year.

Sing, Unburied, Sing is a character-driven novel about an African-American family in Mississippi. But it is also a story about ghosts. Literally and figuratively. It's hard to read at times, which contrast with the exquisite writing style. Deals with so many issues: poverty, drug addiction, mixed race relationships, racism, family, motherhood... and it is done in such an honest, brutal manner, evoking such raw emotions that I know this story and these characters won't be easily forgotten. If you pick up any 2017 new release, let this be it.

Follow

Comments

  1. This book sounds incredibly powerful and emotionally resonant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.