Skip to main content

October Wrap-Up!

October is almost over and I wasn’t really planning on uploading my monthly wrap-up until tomorrow but, well, I have nothing better to do and I’m bored. I’ve read six books this month and I’m gonna start doing some sort of mini-reviews on my wrap-ups to make up for not fully reviewing every book I read. And I think just throwing titles here and there and just telling my rating and whether I like the book or not no longer seems enough for me in a way. So here we go:


1. The House of Hades by Rick Riordan
2. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
3. The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan
4. Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake
5. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
6. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ramson Riggs



Let’s start with The House of Hades, shall we? This is probably my favourite out of all the series. It’s definitely darker compared to previous ones and I loved how Riordan wrote about more mature aspects in a subtle but still strong way. As always, Riordan’s writing is very fast-paced and funny. 5 stars for this one.

Regarding Anna Dressed in Blood I must say this wasn’t scary at all, a little bit unnerving and gruesome at parts but not really horrifying and it’s good, don’t get me wrong, it’s actually a great book for those who would like to read spookier books but still want to sleep at night, know what I mean? It was an enjoyable read but nothing very special. I really like some of the side characters, especially Thomas. And well, Anna was fantastic. I gave it 4 stars

My next read was The Blood of Olympus, the fifth and final installment of the Heroes of Olympus series and because of that I cannot say much without spoiling it, same as with The House of Hades, but I can say that it was bittersweet ending and that I wished some things had been written differently but still I had to give this 5 stars. It was hard to say good-bye to Percy & Co and I may have shed a few tears. I wished we could have got to read Percy’s POV one last time though because this is the last book and it all started with Percy and so I think we fans deserved that too, at least one chapter at the end. But well, we can’t have everything, right?

To continue with my halloweeny theme I picked up Girl of Nightmares and frankly, it was boring. To put it shortly, this book is 331 pages long and for me it started to pick up at page 200… so, not good. I got the feeling Cas, the main character, was completely out of place; as well as Caramel, one of the side characters. They were not the characters from the first book. Thank goodness for Thomas, he kept me reading. The ending was too rushed as well for me but I did like the sacrifice feeling in it and the whole lesson of doing the right thing. Hence, my decision of giving it three stars.

Then we have my two TBR-jar picks for the month: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

Regarding Mara Dyer I have to say it was a super fast-paced read and I liked the premise of this book a lot and how Hodkin wrote it to be so confusing at times, making the reader doubt what was true and what wasn’t. But it was also frustrating lol. And let’s talk about the ending because it was like being slap in the face. Those slaps you don’t see coming and are left with a stupid expression on your face? Yes, that kind of ending. I gave it 4 stars.

Miss Peregrine’s was not what I was expecting but it was still enjoyable. The story itself was not creepy but some of the pictures are a whole different thing though. Some of them were quite unnerving so keep that in mind. However, I did have some problems with this book, concerning the romance which was really off and not really believable and towards the end there were some confusing parts in the story but overall, I highly recommend this book. And, also keep in mind as well that it is a slow-paced book so if you are looking for a super quick read, then this is not for you.

And those are all the books I’ve read this October. Have you read them? Or would you like to? Also, what have you read this month?

Follow me on Goodreads!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).