Skip to main content

Book Haul # 6




So I bought some books… go figure! Five of them I ordered online and the other 3 at the bottom I got at Pasajes which is slowly becoming my own paradise.
I went for a mix of a lot of stuff. I got some fantasy, some short story collections, classics, poetry (which I’m trying to get into at the moment) and literary fiction.

I don’t know when I will be able to go through the entire pile but The Year of the Runaways is a priority since it was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize this year. I know I won’t be able to read the entire shortlist before the winner is announced but still, I have a feeling I will enjoy this.
The other two I’m most excited about are Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell because fantasy, duh? and A PortableShelter, which I was so happy to found in Amazon considering the Scottish publishing house only made a certain amounts of hardback copies and I was sure I will have to wait an entire year until Vintage would publish the paperback edition. But no, I saw it was available and I didn’t think it twice. Really, that tiny book is the major reason why I splurged online this time. I just couldn’t resist. The other collection is by Flannery O’Connor and I got it on a whim. It was there on the shelves at Pasajes looking at me and why not dive into a book knowing nothing about it? It’s the best feeling.

I’ve also added a new Drop Caps edition; this time was Yeats and it doesn’t only contain poetry but also stories about Celtic folklore/fairytales and I find that fascinating. Frost: Poems is the other poetry collection I got and I have to say this Everyman’s Library Pocket Poets editions are so tiny and so lovely and a great introduction to poetry I believe. I’ve never been to keen on poetry but I’m trying my best to expand my horizons. It can’t damage, can it?
Finally the two classics are by Charlotte BrontĂ« and John Steinbeck. By the former I’ve read Jane Eyre which is still my favourite classic of all time so I wanted to get Shirley so I could say I had all her novels and I know about the latter (who doesn’t know who Steinbeck is really?) but I haven’t read anything by him. I wanted to start with The Grapes of Wrath which was also at the bookshop but in the end I went for The Pearl because I couldn’t resist the Penguin Clothbound Edition and it is a short book which I believe could be a good introduction to the author.

What about you? What amazing new books have you added to your shelves? Have you read some of the books I talked about?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.