Skip to main content

Mean Comments On Reviews, Where Is The Need?


A few days ago, Cait @ PaperFury tweeted about a problem regarding one of her reviews. She was getting a lot of nasty comments due to her one-star review of Finding Aubrey because people seemed to think she was mocking the book when in truth, she explained that the reason behind her rating was that she thought the book was mocking social anxiety. I cannot say a thing about the book because I haven’t read it nor I plan to do it but what bugged me the most was how closed-minded people can be. I’ve never got a nasty comment on any of my reviews but it’s not the first time I see this type of behaviour.

Opinions are opinions; they differ and we should respect that. Now, that doesn’t mean one can’t be open to comprehend the other. For example, while everybody was sharing their love for Throne of Glass, here I was finding it quite meh and giving it 2 stars. I honestly didn’t understand what everybody saw in it. I mean, of course I understood but I didn’t feel the same way. The explanation is thus: we have different tastes. What might make me go crazy of excitement, others may hate profoundly and vice versa. And I respect that. I didn’t went on full rant mode to people who adored the book just as I wasn’t rebuked by anyone for not liking it that much and believe me, there are loads of people out there who LOVE, yes in capitals, this series.

However, the main problem comes when instead of expressing our opinion in a well-mannered way, we yell at each other’s faces like our lives depend on it how wrong the other one is, and how they feel offended by what we said, which is utterly ridiculous because the reason behind a review is not laughing at anyone, is putting into words how we felt about books and nothing else. People sometimes like to play the martyr way too much for my taste when there is no reason for it. Please stop. And even sometimes the outcome is people talking about deleting their reviews because of the hate… just how wrong is that? Deleting a review is deleting our opinions, our thoughts. Okay, yes, it’s only a review not the end of the world but still nobody should feel bad about disliking a book.

Obviously we live in a free world and we can express our opinions but that doesn’t give you the right to be rude about it. Why? It’s very simple, let me explain… if I write a negative review and a person comes to me to tell me in a respectful way why she/he loved that same book, my opinion will still be the same but I could appreciate what they are saying and understand what the person saw in the book that I didn’t. On the other hand, if the person not only goes on the defensive but also is being a boor, I can guarantee you all that I will become the most closed-minded person you’ll ever meet and instead of making me get their view, I will hang onto my opinion like it’s the most precious thing in the world and needs to be protected. And we sometimes post things believing it’s not too harsh when in reality, it is.

The most important thing here is that NONE OF US should neither deal with hurtful comments nor feel bad about our points of view.

The magical thing about differences is that it prevents us from being all the same. How utterly dreadful this world would be if each and every one of us had the same thoughts!



Have you ever had this problem? If so, how did you feel about it? If not, how would you cope?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.