Skip to main content

Book Review // The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter

The Bloody Chamber & Other Stories by Angela Carter {Goodreads}
Published by Penguin Classics in 2015
75th Anniversary paperback edition; 162 pages {BookDepository}


The Bloody Chamber & Other Stories is a collection of short stories by Angela Carter in which she gave new life to some of the most famous fairytales, mainly Beauty & The Beast.

This was my first time reading anything by Carter and I have to say I was completely blown away by her incredibly powerful and atmospheric language. And what is more important: they are focused on women, on their sexuality and their fierceness. Carter writes bold women, independent, who learn and seek what they desire. It gives such strength to the stories and tinges them with a triumphant tone. And oh how much I liked that!

Carter discusses so many themes: wildness in women, marriage, sexual awakening, decay and transformation and of course, gender. To say the stories are clearly feminists would be an understatement. She writes so right in your face in such a brutal way that is impossible to not feel compel by the stories. She doesn’t hold anything back and the effect she creates is one not easy to forget. And all the while she delights her readers not only with gothic elements that sent chill down my spine but also an evocative writing style that made me picture everything within my mind, from the setting and the characters of each story to the feelings they are experiencing. My favourite stories were Puss-in-Boots, The Lady of the House of Love, The Courtship of Mr. Lyon and The Company of Wolves.

I would highly recommend reading this collection if you enjoy: (1) fairytales or fairytales re-tellings, (2) beautiful writing style and (3) powerful women please pick this up, you won’t regret it. I certainly didn’t and I own another collection by her that I’m dying to sink my teeth into because… you know… awesomeness and all that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.