Skip to main content

Little Black Classics # 1: Brothers Grimm & Hans Christian Andersen

Book 1:
The Tinder Box by Hans Cristian Andersen {Goodreads}
Published by Penguin Classics in 2015
Paperback edition; 64 pages {BookDepository}

Book 2:
The Robber Bridegroom by Brothers Grimm {Goodreads}
Published by Penguin Classics in 2015
Paperback edition; 64 pages {BookDepository}


Fairytales are an important part of our culture. Wherever we go, we find different versions of different fairytales. However, two or rather three authors stand out big time: The Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen. I will first talk about The Robber Bridegroom and then about The Tinder Box.

Back in March I could enjoy the reading of some of The Grimm’s tales and even though some of the stories I’ve already read where in the Little Black Classics edition, there were others new for me that had fascinated me but also disappointed me because either the morality behind some of the fairytales was conspicuous by its absence or I didn’t catch it, which is a possibility. In any case, this little book is a great place to start reading The Brothers Grimm’s stories if you’re interested. Sometimes, the tales have those Grimm’s characteristic gory details that make me wonder how it is that they were written for children – an example is The Master Huntsman – and other times the Brothers surprise you with tales full of wit and fun like The Devil’s Three Golden Hairs. This edition also includes my favourite tale so far, which is Snow White. I adore that is so different from the Disney version. You need to read it, seriously.

I still cannot believe April was the first time I’ve read Andersen when I’ve grown up with his tales. It’s not the same though listening to the adapted versions than reading the original ones. That’s the case of The Steadfast Tin Soldier. The ending I was told as a child has nothing to do with the original ending, to my great regret. I didn’t think Andersen could be so dark and troubling, even more than Brothers Grimm. Reading Little Claus and Big Claus was particularly disturbing and probably alongside The Red Shoes the most distressing tales of the whole set.

All in all, these two collections are great to get a first impression of what these authors can offer. I certainly plan to continue reading their fairytales although not all of them have a happy ending. My average rating of both books was 3.6 stars.


Have you ever read fairytales? Which authors or tales are your favourites?

For more bookish updates, you can add me on Goodreads!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.