Skip to main content

June 2016


June was stressful to say the least. I had my finals but I can finally say they went well. Got my results yesterday and I'm very happy indeed; during the first two weeks I didn’t do much reading but I bought a few books to keep me happy. Now, however, I’m in a book buying ban. My TBR is completely out of control and I need to balance things a little bit. Yet, July is my birthday month and I guess I will get a few of them. I don’t mind it though and I know I will buy one or two here and there when I feel like it until the end of the year. The gist of it all is to read more and buy less. Sorry, I digress… and this is a wrap-up.

During the last two weeks of June though I went into full reading mode but of the 10 books I ended up reading, half of them were disappointing reads (and I rated 2 stars the last 3 books of the month...). The biggest disappointment was Ragnarok by A. S. Byatt. The best reads in June were Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and Reasons She Goes to the Woods by Deborah Kay Davies. I reviewed all of them if you’re interested.

I also enjoyed some time with family and friends and I went to see Warcraft which wasn’t as good as I was hoping it to be but it wasn’t a disaster either. I hope we get a second movie and they can fully develop the plot and characters.

I have no plans for July although I wanna read Hero of Ages as to finally finish The Mistborn trilogy. The first two books were great and this one should have been read by now but I kept putting it off. No more. Besides that, I’ll do as I always do: pick my reads randomly.

What about you guys? How did June treat you?
Any plans for July?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.