Skip to main content

Good Reads Predictions


I got this idea from a video from Mercedes at MercysBookishMusings. And she got it from Lauren at Lauren And The Books (I will link both their videos at the end of this post). Essentially, both of them picked up books from their TBR piles that were featured in 'Best Books of 2016' videos from other booktubers. Mercedes' video changed the original idea slightly because she picked up books she thought she would rate 5 stars. And I'm doing the same. I don't want to jinx myself by saying the books I picked will be 5 star reads but I'm hoping they are really good considering they've been praised everywhere. Anyways, without further ado...

  • The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis. This is the only YA from my pile but from what I've seen it will pack a punch. It deals with rape culture and from what I've heard McGinnis doesn't shy away. It's supposed to be brutal and honest.
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. This was everywhere last year and I'm kind of terrified of reading it because of the hype and that's why I haven't read it yet (and it's the same reason why I haven't pickep up two other titles in this list). This is a sci-fi novel with amazing diverse characters and I'm all for it. I think it's supposed to be a slow, character-driven read, not at all action-packed and I do find that with sci-fi and fantasy I need a bit of action just to make everything all the better but I'm excited nonetheless.
  • My Name is Leon by Kit de Waal. Another title that was praised all over the place last year and still today, I haven't heard a single bad thing about it so there's that. It is the story of two brothers, Jake gets adopted, Leon doesn't. Jake is white. Leon is not. And that's just enough for me to pick it up. Most people say it's heartbreaking. I have my kleenex ready.
  • The Unseen World by Liz Moore. This book came out of nowhere. The first person I saw talking about it was Mercedes and overnight it was all over booktube getting rave reviews.This is set in the 80s, in Boston and it's about a girl and her father. He starts losing his mind and she embarks on a mission to uncover her father's secrets. I got it because I wanted to read it as soon as possible but then again, it is so hyped up and scared of being disappointed.
  • The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin. The first installment in a new fantasy series that won the Hugo Award in 2016. Again, haven't heard a single bad thing. The world building is supposed to be epic and I just don't need much else to be convinced about it. I love the sound of it. I didn't read it last year because I know the third and final book is coming out this August and I hate waiting when it comes to series so whether I like it or not, I know the next books will be available.
  • The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry. The last book in this list and the one I'm most terrified of reading. It is set in Victorian London and an Essex village and it's about Cora a widow who moves to Essex where there are many rumours that the mythical Essex Serpent has returned. This novel has been and continues to be nominated for most prizes and the amount of buzz around it it's insane. And I'm intrigued by it like everybody else and I want to love it like everybody else and the pressure man, the pressure.
Mercedes' video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTdNmbQLiJo
Lauren's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYL8yF7fxSA

So, here is the list of books I'm hoping will turn out to be amazing reads. I hope you have enjoyed this post and if you have read any of these books or are planning to let me know down in the comments. Have a nice day!

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).