Skip to main content

Mini Book Reviews | Beauty and the Beast & Fish Have No Feet


Today I'm talking about two rather disappointing books I've read recently. One of the them was a DNF.

Let's start with The Beauty and the Beast by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve. Since the movie came last month I decided to pick up the book and read the original story once and for all. I wish I hadn't if I'm honest. I love the Disney version of this tale, however problematic is it, and although it follows the premise of the original version I believe the movie makes more sense and it gets rid of many stuff that I truly disliked about Gabrielle-Suzanne's version. All in all, I found it to be very boring and not at all entertaining. At least the edition is gorgeous.

Now, onto the DNF. My first this year: Fish Have No Feet by Jon Kalman Stefansson (translated from the Icelandic by Philip Roughton). This novel is extremely well-written - I have underlined so many quotes - and the translation is fantastic. It fluids; nothing sounds unnatural which is really good but Stefansson's way of telling the story is just a big no. Supposedly this is about Ari, a writer and editor who goes back to Iceland because his father is dying. Well, I made it to page 201 and not a sign of his father. It's just Ari, recalling things about his life and I just didn't wanna waste my time with a guy who is just a plain asshole. I believe I gave it a fair shot. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // The Madwoman Upstairs by Catherine Lowell

The Madwoman Upstairs  by Catherine Lowell { Goodreads } Published by Quercus Publishing in 2016 Paperback edition; 416 pages { BookDepository } The Madwoman Upstairs follows Samantha Whipple, the last descendant of the famous Brontë family. Her father is dead and the public believes she has inherited some important pieces of the Brontë’s literary estate, which is not true as long as she’s concerned since she has never seen said estate. When she starts attending Oxford College however, everything changes. She stars receiving books that belonged to her father and the whole situations turns into a scavenger hunt to unfold her family legacy.

Weekend Reads

This weekend I'm planning on finishing El día de año nuevo y otros cuentos maravillosos  - a short story collection by Vladímir Odóievski that so far it's simply okay nothing really special- and reading a chunk of Outlander . I'm halfway through the latter and so far, it's a very enjoyable read; I started watching the TV show last year when it premiered but stopped after some episodes because I wanted to read the book. I'm finally caught up with what I saw and from now on I don't know what's going to happen which makes me wanna read even more. What are your plans for the weekend?