Skip to main content

Mini Book Reviews | We Don't Know What We're Doing & Stranger, Baby


I'm back with another mini book reviews post. Today is all about short stories and poetry.

We Don't Know What We're Doing by Thomas Morris is a short story collection set in Caerphilly, a town in South Wales. All characters live in the same place and all of them are battling their own demons. Some are lonely, some are depressed but all of them share something: they are trying to figure life out and what they want from it. This short story collection is very well written and makes you feel the melancholy and sadness of its characters. However, I couldn't really connect with some of them. I understood what they were feeling and I felt sad because of it but I didn't care for most of the characters.

Stranger, Baby by Emily Berry is her new poetry collection. I don't tend to read much poetry simply because I always feel like I won't understand the meaning behind the poems most of the time. However, I'm trying to change that. It is okay not to understand completely the meaning the poet is trying to convey; for me it's about the emotions I experience while reading poetry and yes, some of these poems went over my head but all of them were beautiful. Berry talks about loss and what that loss means for the ones that live on - how losing someone can leave a perpetual void within oneself; an emptiness. Yet, Berry's poems, although dealing with a difficult topic, create a beautiful sense of imagery related to the sea. I was captivated by it.

Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review // The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild

The Improbability of Love  by Hannah Rothschild { Goodreads } Published by Bloomsbury in 2016 Paperback edition; 479 pages { BookDepository } The Improbability of Love follows a bunch of different characters all involved in different ways with the art-world scene in London when a very famous painting –which gives name to the novel – is found by Annie, the main protagonist we could say, in a thrift shop. Don’t be fooled by the cover which screams chick-lit through and through; the novel deals with so much more.

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident...

How I Rate Books

For quite a while now I’ve seen loads of people talking about how they rate the books they read. And so I thought about doing my own post because it is true the way I rate books has changed and so I wanted to discuss it with you guys. The main thing that inspired me to do this post is Helene’s Jeppesen video about it.